Sometimes we just put things off. Things like cleaning the oven, staining the deck and purchasing flood insurance. Why? Because there just isn't an immediate need and other things grab our attention first. But when you hear on the news that there are flash floods in your area or a river is rising to flood level, then that flood insurance probably regains your attention.
Can you purchase flood insurance today, while it has your attention, and be covered tomorrow?
The answer is no. Flood insurance is not something you purchase one day when you are nervous about being flooded. You need to plan ahead and purchase flood insurance in advance. Most insurance agencies require a 30-day waiting period for the policy to take effect. There are some exceptions, such as when you purchase a new home.
Why should talking with an independent insurance agent about flood insurance be a high priority on your to-do list?
- Floods are the leading cause of property damage due to natural disasters.
- Floods can happen almost anywhere, not just if you live on the coast or near a river. Flash floods can happen anywhere there is ground that is dried up and cannot hold the rain.
- Floods can also mean mud flows, which damage houses that aren't near water but are on a slope or near a slope of land.
- A flood can cause significant damage to your home. Once the water is in your home, you will probably have damage to:
- Flooring and sub flooring: you may have to have these replaced, especially carpeting.
- Walls: if water comes into your home, your walls can start to soak up the water and part or all of your walls will need replacing.
- Furniture and cabinets: the water can damage anything that touches the floor.
So, please take time this week and talk with your independent insurance agent about flood insurance. Discuss whether or not you need it and what it covers.
We’ve got you covered. Call 866-934-6470 for more information on Corpus Christi flood insurance.